Quick recipe yields big flavour!
This is one of those deceptive dishes – so fast and simple to prepare yet so flavourful that people might think you spent hours making it. It’s a great meal for using up any leftover vegetables in your fridge – I’ve sometimes just used onions and mushrooms while other times I’ll also add in zucchini and halved cherry tomatoes. Tailor it to what you have on hand and/or your family’s preferences and enjoy the praise they’re sure to offer when they taste this dish.
- 6 boneless chicken thighs or 2 – 3 boneless breasts
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) butter or olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) white wine
- 1/3 cup (90 mL) finely chopped onion
- 2 cups (500 mL) thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Italian, lemon-garlic or other herbed salad dressing
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) water
- 2/3 cup (175 mL) thinly sliced zucchini
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) halved cherry tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) water
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) cornstarch
- Grated parmesan, to serve (optional but delicious)
- Chopped fresh parsley, to serve (optional but delicious)
- Cooked rice, pasta or mashed potatoes, to serve
- Cut chicken into pieces (approximately 1 inch / 2.5 cm). Heat 1 tablespoon of butter or oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook for 3 – 4 minutes per side, until starting to turn golden brown.
- Add white wine and cook, scraping up stuck bits on bottom of pan, for 2 – 3 minutes, until it has mostly (but not completely) evaporated.
- Remove chicken and any pan juices to a clean bowl and set aside.
- Put remaining butter or oil in the same skillet and add onions and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat for 3 – 4 minutes, stirring often, until mushrooms have begun to brown on the edges and onions are soft.
- Push the cooked vegetables to one side of the pan and return the chicken to the empty space. Spoon the vegetables over the chicken to distribute evenly.
- Add salad dressing, water, and salt & pepper along with zucchini and tomatoes, if using. Stir gently then cover pan and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Add cream and stir to blend then turn off heat.
- About 5 minutes before serving, stir 2 tablespoons of water and cornstarch together, then drizzle into chicken mixture. Stir and turn burner to medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sauce just begins to bubble and thicken. Reduce heat to low and cook for 2 minutes then serve over hot cooked rice, pasta or mashed potatoes with a sprinkle of parsley and Parmesan on top if you like.