Healthy and flavourful thanks to seeds, spices and whole wheat flour!
These crackers are so crispy and delicious that my family finds them positively addictive! They get their name from the spice and seed mix which mimics the famous ‘everything bagel’ topping that is wildly popular across North America. I like that these crackers include some whole wheat flour and contain no sugar or preservatives. The crackers themselves make a great hostess gift, perhaps paired with a favourite cheese. The ‘everything bagel’ spice mix is so versatile that it would also make a great gift as well!
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) ‘everything bagel’ seasoning blend (see below)
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) water
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) olive oil
- Extra water to brush dough
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Line two baking trays with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine flours and salt in a bowl, add water and oil, then stir to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 20 times.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or up to one hour so flour can become fully hydrated.
- Roll dough out between two large sheets of parchment paper, as thinly as possible (1/8 inch / .4 cm, or less).
- With a large, sharp knife, cut into 1.5 inch (3.75 cm) squares.
- Transfer squares to parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) apart. Prick the tops of each square several times with the tines of a fork.
- Brush lightly with water and sprinkle ‘everything bagel’ seasoning on top, distributing evenly across the crackers.
- Bake 10 – 12 minutes, until light brown and crispy.
- Cool completely then store in airtight container for up to a week or freeze.
Makes approximately 4.5 dozen crackers.
Everything Bagel Seasoning Mix
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds, toasted
- 5 tablespoons black sesame seeds, toasted
- 5 tablespoons dried onion flakes (not onion powder)
- 5 tablespoons dried garlic flakes (not garlic powder)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt or fleur de sel
Put all ingredients in a small jar and stir or shake to blend together. Store at room temperature for up to 6 months.
This spice and seed mixture is fabulous blended into butter or mayonnaise. It’s also great sprinkled on salads, sandwiches, cooked eggs, loaves of bread before baking, pizzas, baked potatoes, chicken, fish, homemade pita chips, sliced tomatoes, roasted vegetables, hummus, guacamole, avocado toast and, well… everything!