A fun twist on a classic!
I’ve been making soda bread for years but usually stick with this classic, Irish-inspired sweet version with raisins. I am finding my tastebuds seem to crave savoury tastes more than sweet ones lately, so I thought it would be fun to try changing up the flavour profile of soda bread plus make it in mini format because everyone seems to love a crispy crust so much! I enjoy slathering these beauties with herbed or smoked salmon cream cheese, but they’re equally delicious with butter (and jam, too, if you love that sweet-savory combo). Note that you can make your own buttermilk for this recipe by heating 1/4 cup (60 mL) of milk to lukewarm in the microwave. Add 1 teaspoon vinegar and stir; you should see it getting a little clumpy. Add the remaining 1/4 cup (60 mL) milk and refrigerate until needed. You should be able to find ‘everything bagel’ seasoning blend at a local store on online; it’s also easy to make your own with this simple recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups (156 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (25 g) white sugar
- 1 teaspoon (4 g) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 g) baking soda
- 1/4 cup (57 g) very cold salted butter
- 2 tablespoons (18 g) ‘everything bagel’ seasoning blend, divided
- 2 green onions (scallions), minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cold buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Grate the cold butter into the mixture and stir so the shards of butter get coated in flour.
- Stir in half of the ‘everything bagel’ seasoning and the green onions.
- Add the buttermilk and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until it comes together to form a rough dough.
- Keeping the dough in the bowl, knead it a few times with your very clean hands until it comes together in a shaggy ball. Divide into four evenly-sized pieces. Gently form each piece into a ball and place on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them out evenly. Flatten each ball slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Using a sharp knife, score an X across the top of each. Sprinkle each loaf with 3/4 teaspoon of the remaining bagel seasoning. Bake until golden brown, about 18 – 20 minutes (the best way to ascertain when they are done is with an instant-read thermometer; finished temperature should be 180F).
- Let cool slightly before serving with butter or cream cheese.
Makes 4 mini loaves; recipe can easily be multiplied.