First concocted decades ago at the iconic Harry’s Bar in Venice, the Bellini is a delightful cocktail that has a pleasing taste and pretty appearance. Traditionally made with fresh, raw peaches, this version boasts a unique flavour as the peaches are grilled before they are pureed. The grilling also softens the peaches enough so you can simply mash them with the back of a spoon, rather than using a blender or food processor. Note that you can make the peach puree ahead of time and refrigerate for up to three days or freeze for up to one month. I hope you enjoy this delicious taste of summer on your favourite deck, terrace or patio.
2 ripe peaches
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 bottle chilled prosecco (sparkling wine) or champagne
- Preheat the barbeque to medium-high heat.
- Wash the peaches, rubbing gently with your fingers, to remove as much of the fuzz as you can.
- Slice the peaches in half from top to bottom and gently twist the halves apart, revealing the pit. Remove the pit and discard.
- When the grill is hot, place the peach halves, cut sides up, directly on the grate. Cook the outside (skin side) for about 3 – 4 minutes, until peaches are beginning to soften.
- With tongs, gently turn the peaches over so the cut sides are facing down, directly on the grate. Cook for an additional 4 – 5 minutes until the peaches have grill marks and are softened and aromatic.
- Remove the peaches and place on a plate.
- Sprinkle the cut sides of the hot peaches with the sugar and let them sit for 5 minutes.
- Place the sugared peaches cut sides down in a sieve and press down on them with the back of a spoon. Your goal is to extract as much peach puree as possible (You should get about ½ cup).
- Discard the skins and any remaining solids left in the sieve.
- Add the lemon juice to the peach puree and stir well to combine.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the peach puree into 4 Champagne flutes and fill with cold prosecco. Stir very gently to dislodge just a portion of the peach puree from the bottom of each glass.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 4 cocktails