Perfect for cocktail or garden parties!
The combination of rum, pineapple and shrimp always makes me think of vacations in the Caribbean. Done up as little skewers, these two-bite treats are perfect for a cocktail or garden party or, if you’re like me, you can just eat a whole bunch of them and call it dinner! It’s worth it to buy larger shrimp if you can, as the smaller ones will cook too rapidly before the pineapple has had a chance to get seared on the grill. You can thread the skewers up to 4 hours ahead of time and keep refrigerated until you are ready to quickly grill and serve them.
- 16 large or jumbo shrimp, shelled
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) rum
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) finely chopped cilantro
- 16 one-inch pieces of fresh pineapple
Equipment: wooden skewers (can also use firm, thin stalks of lemongrass).
- In a shallow dish, combine rum, garlic, lime juice, pineapple juice and cilantro.
- Add the shrimp and gently stir to coat.
- Cover dish and refrigerate for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Thread each skewer with one or two shrimp and one piece of pineapple.
- Refrigerate the skewers until ready to grill.
- Preheat grill to medium high (approximately 375F).
- When ready to serve, place skewers on the hot grill and cook for about 2 – 3 minutes per side. Shrimp should turn pinkish and pineapple should get a few golden brown grill marks. Serve immediately.
Serves 4 as an appetizer.