A fun treat kids can make all by themselves!
Remember the mug cake craze from a few years ago? Coming up with new flavour combinations was a favourite after-school pastime for my kids; their creations were inventive and usually loaded with chocolate and sugar but I let them have their fun. Thinking about how much they enjoyed making mug treats, I decided to come up with a healthier version that is more like a muffin than a cake. One of the things I love best about this recipe is that it requires very small amounts of ingredients and no eggs! Be advised that cooking time will depend upon your microwave’s power and note that it’s easy to make a vegan version by using vegetable oil and non-dairy milk instead of yogurt and regular milk. This recipe is delicious as is, but even more delightful with a dollop of whipped cream, whipped coconut cream or even a spoonful of ice cream on top. Who says you can’t have a little fun at breakfast?
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (37 mL) all-purpose flour (regular or gluten-free)
- 1/8 teaspoon (.6 mL) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) baking powder
- 1 tablespoon (16 mL) sour cream, plain yogurt or vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons (20 mL) milk (regular or non-dairy)
- 1/8 teaspoon (.6 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 heaping tablespoon (17 mL) fresh or frozen blueberries or raspberries, or sliced bananas
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) ground cinnamon
- Spray a microwave-safe mug or teacup with cooking spray or grease with a little vegetable oil poured onto a piece of paper towel.
- Put flour, salt, baking powder, sour cream (or yogurt or oil), milk, and vanilla in the mug and stir until combined. Sprinkle fruit on top of the batter and stir gently to blend.
- In a separate small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon then sprinkle that mixture on top of the cake batter.
- Microwave on high power for 45 seconds then check for doneness (a toothpick inserted should come out clean); if needed microwave for 15 seconds more and test again. Repeat as needed.
- Let cool for 1 minute before eating right out of the mug.
Makes 1 mug muffin.