A classic cocktail gets a contemporary makeover!
Sometimes you can’t beat a classic cocktail. There’s a few great reasons why the simple, delicious Vodka Soda has been popular for generations – it’s easy to prepare, doesn’t take a lot of special know-how and tastes super refreshing. In honour of the winter that won’t end in my part of the world, I bring you my take on this eminently sippable beverage. The twist: blend flavoured white balsamic with the vodka before topping with soda. I recommend white balsamic as it will preserve the cocktail’s characteristic clarity whereas a dark balsamic will make it muddy-looking (though delicious). The balsamic adds a subtle richness of flavour without detracting from the drink’s signature crispness. I recommend using premium vodka; most of these are very smooth and ideal for a drink that tastes balanced and bright.
- 2 ounces (4 tablespoons/60 mL) vodka
- 1 ounce (2 tablespoons/30 mL) flavoured white balsamic*
- handful ice cubes
- soda water to top
- fruit to garnish (optional)
*I used a Cara-Cara orange and vanilla white balsamic and it was terrific; next up I’m going to try mango.
- Put the vodka and balsamic in a cocktail shaker along with 3 – 4 ice cubes. Shake until blended and chilled, about 1 minute.
- Pour vodka-balsamic mixture and ice cubes into a lowball glass. Top with soda and garnish with fruit if desired.
- Close your eyes, take a sip and imagine you’re somewhere warm.
Makes 1 cocktail