A blast of sunshine in the middle of winter!
Oh, what a joy this salad is. Bursting with colour and flavour, you can’t help but smile just looking at this beautiful dish … and it’s not just pretty – its flavour is absolutely wonderful. I chose peppery arugula (rocket) as a great counterpoint to the sweet citrus but if you don’t prefer that flavour, baby kale or spinach would be tasty alternatives. If you’re a fan of onions, a sprinkling of thinly sliced shallot or red onion would be delightful. I also plan to add a few tablespoons of crumbled feta and some chopped pistachios on top the next time I make it.
- 1 ruby red grapefruit
- 3 oranges (I used one each of Cara Cara, blood orange and clementine)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pomegranate arils (seeds)
- 1 cup (250 mL) baby arugula, washed and dried
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) honey
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) Dijon
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- With a sharp knife, peel the grapefruit and oranges, taking care to remove all the white pith under the skin. Cut crosswise into 1/3 inch (.6 cm) slices, removing any seeds with the tip of a knife.
- Arrange rocket (or other greens) on a serving platter. Top with rounds of fruit and scatter pomegranate arils on top.
- Place honey in a small jar with a tight lid and heat in microwave for 10 seconds. Add Dijon and red wine vinegar; cover jar and shake to blend well. Remove lid and add olive oil; cover and shake again.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over fruit. Add a few grinds of salt and pepper and serve.
Serves 2 – 4.